I love Banana Bread, and so do the kids! (Bonus) It’s so quick and easy to make too, and I love that it can be frozen.
3 large bananas, (over ripe work perfectly for this)
75ml of vegetable oil (I tend to use olive oil as that’s what I have on hand usually)
100g brown sugar
225g plain flour
3 heaped tsp baking powder
1tsp sweet cinnamon or mixed spice (add more or less but I find 1tsp does the job nicely, or leave this out)
I tend to throw in broken up walnuts after I’ve mixed everything, I find a handful is plenty, you could throw in dried fruit, nuts or seeds.
1. Heat oven to 200C / 180C fan / gas 6.
2. Mash peeled bananas in a bowl with a fork, mix well with the oil and sugar.
3. Add in the flour, baking powder, spices and combine well. Throw in nuts or seeds or dried fruit and mix lightly together.
4. Bake in a well oiled or lined 2lb loaf tin. Bake for 20 minutes, check and cover with foil if it looks like it’s browning too much, bake for a further 20 mins or so until a skewer comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool on a cooling rack, before slicing.
Delicious when fresh from the oven, perfect as a mid morning snack with a cup of coffee, to throw in the kids lunch boxes. Make several in advance and pop in the freezer sliced, so you can just grab a couple of slices out as and when you want them.
My kids are obsessed with this, and it saves wasting those bananas that always seem to go black before anyone has chance to eat them.